28 May 2020

How to Stay Healthy in Summer

With summer finally on its way, we naturally want to spend more time outdoors. Enjoying the sunshine is a great mood-booster, and raises our levels of Vitamin D. But, the increased pace of life during summer and the sun itself can lead to health issues if we're not careful. Follow our guide and learn how to stay healthy in summer.

You may also like: How to stay healthy in college

Stay Hydrated

During warm weather, we lose more water due to sweating. It is, therefore, imperative to keep our hydration levels topped up. Keep a bottle of water with you at all times during the summer and ensure you sip from it regularly. Adding sliced cucumbers or fresh fruit gives an added flavor and prevents you from reaching for the fizzy drinks. Sodas and other processed beverages contain high levels of sugar and chemicals, which dehydrate you further and can damage your health.

Wear Sunscreen

The summer sun can be fierce, and you can quickly burn without realizing. Sunburn can cause irreparable damage to your skin, leading to premature ageing and skin cancer. Avoid burning by wearing a quality sunscreen with a factor of 25 or above. It is also a good idea to wear a hat and cover your arms and shoulders between the hours of 11 am-3 pm when the sun is strongest.

Exercise Outside

Make the most of the warmer weather by taking your workout into nature. Use your back yard, or a public park or beach. Exercising outdoors in the fresh air is stimulating for the body and improves mental and emotional wellbeing. But don't forget your sunscreen, water, and hat.

Take a Vacation

During the summer we can experience an increase in demands on our time. There are more invitations to social events, the kids are off school, and we still need to work. These increased responsibilities can lead to feelings of overwhelm and exhaustion. We can feel burnt out and stressed.

To stay healthy in summer, schedule some down-time so that you can recharge and relax. Book a vacation with your family and enjoy some quality time with those you love. Or even vacation on your own for some deep rest and self-care. Yoga and detox retreats are perfect for alone time and self-love, and boost your wellbeing too!

Eat Healthily

It is very tempting to over-indulge during summertime. Picnics and barbeques with friends can happen almost every weekend. We get the kids ice creams to cool down and end up joining in. Oh, and don't forget those glasses of wine enjoyed in the late-afternoon sunshine on the veranda. This increased consumption of fatty, sugary foods and alcohol can lead to weight gain and low energy.

Stay healthy in summer by eating lots of wholesome, unprocessed plant-based foods most of the time. It is helpful to remember the 80/20 rule - eat and drink well 80% of the time, and you can enjoy some indulgence the remaining 20% of the time. The 80/20 rule helps you to balance nourishing your body and enjoying yourself with the odd treat.

Photo by Anna Demianenko on Unsplash

Did you enjoy this article? Share it!

Try 30 Day Fitness Now!
See the fantastic results of the 30 Day Fitness Challenge on your own body.
Try for Free
Two screens of the 30 Day Fitness app.
Follow us on social media:
Copyright © Bending Spoons S.p.A. | Via Nino Bonnet 10, 20154, Milan, Italy | VAT, tax code, and number of registration with the Milan Monza Brianza Lodi Company Register 08931860962 | REA number MI 2056926 | Contributed capital €128.816,34

Help Center - Terms & Conditions - Website Privacy and Cookie Policy