For those who have ever thought about protein shakes, know that you are not alone in this. There are tons of people who try protein shakes as a way to help gain more muscle and put on some weight to help with their overall fitness plan. However, are protein shakes the way to go for weight gain? Are protein shakes bad or good for your health? When should I take protein shakes to gain weight? These are all excellent questions and are what we hope to answer for you so that you can make an informed decision on using these protein shakes.
When Should I Take Protein Shakes to Gain Weight?
Protein shakes are often something that many people turn to when they need to gain weight, or when they are looking to replace an entire meal. Protein shakes are recommended for weight gain when you are not taking in enough calories on your own. Or when you are in need of more protein than what you are eating, such as those who are on a vegan diet and do not necessarily take in enough protein to get the weight that they need. There are times in which doctors recommend protein shakes to gain weight for those who suffer from a high metabolism. While those who are workout junkies, often find that they need more protein to sustain their workout and get the muscle definition that they are looking for.
Are Protein Shakes Bad?
So, are protein shakes bad or good for you? This is the question that many people ask, and the answer may surprise many people. There are several pros and cons to protein shakes for weight gain that people need to consider.
- Protein shakes can help to build muscle, which is one of the main reasons that people who workout use these. However, store bought protein shakes often have more ingredients in them that can cause other issues. This is why many people turn to making their own protein shakes, of which we will be giving some recipes for later in this article.
- Protein shakes are a great source of vitamins and minerals. If you are not eating entirely healthy and not getting the calories that you need, especially if you workout a lot, then these protein shakes can be great for helping to build more muscle than fat.
- Protein shakes are easy to take on the go, making them great for those who have a busy lifestyle and simply do not have time to eat a full meal to help with their weight gain.
- These protein shakes can be completely customization to meet any dietary or allergy issue that you may have.
Overall, when the situation calls for it, protein shakes for weight gain can be a great, easy option for those who are interested.
Homemade Protein Shake Recipes for Weight Gain
Here are some great recipes for those who want to make their own protein shakes at home, so that they know just what is going into these shakes.
Coffee Coconut Breakfast Smoothie
- 2 ½ tbsp of protein powder
- ¾ cup of milk
- ¾ tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of instant coffee powder
- 2 tsp of shredded coconut
- 2 dried figs
- 4 walnuts
- ¼ cup of uncooked rolled oats
All the ingredients into the blender and mix until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy any time of the day.
Chocolate Strawberry and Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp of protein powder
- ¼ cup of strawberries
- 2 tsp of peanut butter powder
- 1 tsp of raw cocoa powder
- 1 banana
Remove the stem from strawberries and peel the banana. Then place all the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. Serve and enjoy.