Walking is a great low impact exercise that can help you to lose weight and get more active. However, many people are looking for ways to make their walk even more beneficial to them. They want to burn even more calories than what the walking does for them. So, how is this done? Luckily, there are a few ways to do this and we have highlighted the top 5 ways to burn more calories while walking.
How to Burn More Calories Walking: 5 Tips
- Select a route that has some inclines to it. You will find that walking up hills requires that you put more effort into this and you are going to lose more calories as a result. You are pulling and pushing your body weight even more, the intensity is going to get that heart rate up even more.
- Up your steps as you continue your fitness journey. While many people take the same route every day when they walk, you will want to increase the distance that you are walking as you get stronger. One of the best ways to do this is to monitor how many steps you are taking so that you can increase these. This will result in more calories burned because you are walking further.
- Use interval walking. This means that you include a short burst of fast paced walking alternated with walking at a moderate speed. You will find that through alternating these, you are going to burn more calories than if you were to maintain the same moderate speed the entire time. Make sure that you do this in bursts of fast then moderate to avoid becoming overly tired while out.
- Make your walk a competition! This is a great tip for those who may be walking with a workout buddy or a group. You will find that as you make this a competition, everyone is going to step up their game and walk faster, walk longer and overall burn more calories.
- Put in some strength training exercises into your regular walk. For example, if you walk for 10 minutes, start doing some lunges in your walk, or even stop to plank for 20 seconds or so. You will find that through adding in these strength training exercises you will get stronger, but you are also going to burn more calories due to the addition of these moving exercises.