You have probably seen people doing burpees at the gym, and if you want to incorporate them into your routine, you are right to first consider how to do a proper burpee.
A burpee is a full-body exercise that is challenging and very effective. It has a reputation for being on the most challenging dynamic exercises, but primarily, for this reason, they are incorporated into most fitness regimes. They train just about every muscle in your body and after doing them for just a short amount of time, you will feel the burn and fatigue in your body.
As it does require significant movement, it is crucial to use the proper form to avoid injury and make sure you also get the most out of the exercise.
Now, let’s go on to learn how to do a burpee.
How to do a burpee correctly:
Muscles Involved: Abdominals, Deltoids, Glutes, Hamstrings, Pectorals, Quadriceps, Triceps Brachii
- First, position your feet shoulder width apart, with arms extended by your sides while standing upright.
- Squat as low as you comfortably can by bending your knees to lower your torso.
- Lower your body to assume a push-up position by placing your hands on the ground in front of you, and then extending your legs behind you.
- Squeezing the abs and glutes while maintaining a flat back, bend your arms, lowering your body until your chest is about 1 inch from the ground.
- Push through the palms of your hands.
- Once your arms are fully extended, keep your palms on the ground while jumping forward and bending your legs into a squatting position.
- Remove your palms from the ground, explode up into a jump, and land on feet as softly as possible.
Complete subsequent reps starting from step 2.
Here is also a ‘how to do a proper burpee’ video for your reference:
You can also tailor the burpee depending on just how challenging you would like it to be. You can make it easier by stepping into leg extension on step 3, more difficult by jumping, or even more difficult by adding a push-up to the plank position.
For intense cardio and fat-blasting workout, do as many burpees as you possibly can in 8 minutes. Remember to keep the proper form!
Burpees are a challenge, yes, but they are absolutely worth it! Now that you know the correct way to do a burpee, try incorporating them into your routine and you will feel the benefits of this effective exercise in no time.