Have you wondered what exercise people are doing at the gym when it seems to be a cross between a partial push up and a partial climbing motion with the lower body? This, is what is called the exercise: ‘mountain climbers’.
So, what are mountain climbers?
Mountain climbers are one of the most effective abdominal exercises, and they cover all the bases as a full-body exercise.
For this reason, mountain climbers are often incorporated into fitness instructor’s warm-ups.
So, now you may be thinking ‘ok, I get what they are, but now what about how to do mountain climbers properly and what the benefits are?’
How to do mountain climbers:
- Begin by entering a push-up position, keeping your arms in line with your shoulders, and legs fully extended.
- Inhale and draw one knee up towards your abdomen while bending it and not allowing your torso or other leg to rotate.
- Exhale and extend that leg returning to its starting position.
- Complete subsequent reps starting from step 2.
Note: It is crucial to keep your core stable while doing mountain climbers so that:
- You get the main benefit of the workout
- You protect your back.
Mountain climbers benefits
- Increases strength, flexibility and blood circulation
- Promotes functional fitness, which prepares your muscles for movements that they will come across on a day-to-day basis
- Burns calories quickly
- Combines strength training, cardio and core work all into one exercise
- Well-rounded exercise that engages your abs, shoulders, upper arms, chest, and legs
- Requires you to prioritize alignment and form, which you will carry over into other exercises as well
- Dynamic exercise that gets your body moving and heart rate up quickly.
How many calories do mountain climbers burn
The amount of calories that you burn doing mountain climbers depends on your weight and how long you do them for.
- If a 125-pound person does climbers for 60-seconds, one can expect to burn about 8 calories.
- If a 155-pound person does climbers for 60-seconds, one can expect to burn about 10 calories.
- If a 185-pound person does climbers for 60-seconds, one can expect to burn about 12 calories.
This intense exercise can burn calories quickly and is a great way to really get your body moving. Try incorporating them into your warm-up to see just how effective they are, and remember to pay mind to your form!